All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChild abuse, incest, child molestation, Halloween sadism, child porgraphy: although clearly t new problems, they have attracted more attention than ever before. Threatened Children asks why. Joel Best analyzes the rhetorical tools used by child advocates when making claims aimed at raising public anxiety and examines the media's role in transmitting reformers' claims and the public's response to the frightening statistics, compelling examples, and expanding definitions it confronts. Drawing on a wide range of sources, from criminal justice records to news stories, from urban legends to public opinion surveys, Best reveals how the cultural construction of social problems evolves.
- Author BiographyJoel Best is professor of sociology at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale.
- Author(s)Joel Best
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication01/03/1993
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note2 line drawings
- Weight311 g
- Width200 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.97Trending at AU $53.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.