Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $41.38Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $24.23+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt his death in 1994, Ralph Ellison left behind several thousand pages of his unfinished second vel, which he had spent nearly four decades writing. Five years later, Random House published Juneteenth, drawn from the central narrative of Ellison's epic work in progress. Three Days Before the Shooting . . . gathers in one volume all the parts of that planned opus, including three major sequences never before published. Set in the frame of a deathbed vigil, the story is a gripping multigenerational saga centered on the assassination of a controversial, race-baiting U.S. senator who's being tended to by an elderly black jazz musician turned preacher. Presented in their unexpurgated, provisional state, the narrative sequences brim with humor and tension, composed in Ellison's magical jazz-inspired prose style. Beyond its compelling narratives, Three Days Before the Shooting . . . is perhaps most table for its extraordinary insight into the creative process of one of this country's greatest writers, and an essential, fascinating piece of Ralph Ellison's legacy.
- Author BiographyRalph Ellison (1913-94) trained as a musician at Tuskegee Institute from 1933 to 1936 before turning to writing. Invisible Man won the National Book Award. Appointed to the Academy of American Arts and Letters in 1964, Ellison taught at several institutions, including New York University, where he was Albert Schweitzer Professor of Humanities. John F. Callahan is Morgan S. Odell Professor of Humanities at Lewis and Clark College in Portland, Oregon. He is the editor of the Modern Library edition of The Collected Essays of Ralph Ellison and is the literary executor of Ralph Ellison's estate. Adam Bradley is an associate professor of English at the University of Colorado at Boulder. He is the author of the critical study Ralph Ellison in Progress.
- Author(s)Ralph Ellison
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication15/08/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2011
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Weight1157 g
- Width160 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine52 mm
- Edited byAdam Bradley,Odell Professor of Humanities Department of English John F Callahan
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best Selling in Fiction Books
- AU $65.36New
- AU $52.54Used
A Game of Thrones: The Story Continues: The Complete Box Set of All 7 Books by George R. R. Martin (Paperback, 2012)
- AU $53.38New
- AU $47.52Used
- AU $16.07New
- AU $8.06Used
- AU $70.49New
- AU $16.57New
- AU $18.34New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $12.53Trending at AU $14.06
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $24.68
- AU $24.34Trending at AU $26.22
- AU $12.75Trending at AU $13.74
- AU $18.40Trending at AU $28.50
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $15.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.