All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWickedly funny and delightfully sad, Three Ladies Beside the Sea is a tale of love found, love lost, and love never-ending. Edward Gorey's off-kilter Edwardian maidens are the perfect accompaniment to Rhoda Levine's lilting rhymes. The place is remote: Three houses beside the sea. The Characters are Few: Laughing Edith of Ecstasy, Edith so happy and gay. Smiling Catherine of Compromise, She smiles her life away. And then there is Alice of Hazard, A dangerous life leads she. The question in the plot is quite simple: Why is Alice up in a tree? The answer can be discovered: Edith and Catherine do.
- Author BiographyRhoda Levine is the author of seven children's books (two of which were illustrated by Edward Gorey) and is an accomplished director and choreographer. In addition to working for major opera houses in the United States and Europe, she has choreographed shows on and off Broadway, and in London's West End. Among the world premieres she has directed are Der Kaiser von Atlantis, by Viktor Ullmann, and The Life and Times of Malcolm X and Wakonda's Dream, both by Anthony Davis. In Cape Town she directed the South African premiere of Porgy and Bess in 1996, and she premiered the New York City Opera productions of Janacek's From the House of the Dead, Zimmermann's Die Soldaten, and Adamo's Little Women. Edward Gorey (1925-2000) was born in Chicago. He studied at the Art Institute of Chicago, spent three years in the army testing poison gas, and attended Harvard College, where he majored in French literature and roomed with the poet Frank O'Hara. In 1953 Gorey published The Unstrung Harp, the first of his many extraordinary illustrated books, which include The Curious Sofa, The Haunted Tea Cosy, and The Epileptic Bicycle. NYRB has published Gorey's illustrated edition of H. G. Wells's The War of the Worlds and The Haunted Looking Glass, a selection of his favorite tales of ghosts, ghouls, and grisly goings-on.
- Author(s)Rhoda Levine
- PublisherThe New York Review of Books, Inc
- Date of Publication01/03/2012
- SubjectPicture Books
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe New York Review Children's Collection
- Content Notechiefly ill
- Weight222 g
- Width180 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Illustrator(s)Edward Gorey
- Edition StatementMain
- Interest AgeFrom 3 To 7
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $138.24Trending at AU $169.18
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $70.56
- AU $15.16Trending at AU $23.80
- AU $33.79Trending at AU $49.84
- AU $24.46Trending at AU $29.64
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $6.53
- AU $20.71Trending at AU $24.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.