All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis exciting, true story is set in 1971 war-devastated Zaire, Africa. With their fragile, just-born son, Bob and Daphne in a short-wheel-base Land Rover are struggling across overwhelming jungle through regions where whites have recently been massacred. People are dying from a mysterious disease - Ebola! Desperate to reach Daphne's parents who are gravely ill in Mallorca they force their Land Rover through appalling red ooze. Facing incredible difficulties, and awesome dangers they enjoy humorous incidents and wonderful scenery. When an official detains Daphne to become his Wife Number 4 the travellers escape by paddling across a fast, wide river on a raft made from dugouts. Will the young family reach Europe in time for the dying couple to see their new grandson? But will the baby actually survive the gruelling journey? The book is illustrated with Daphne's photos, and sketches. Proceeds will go to the fight against Ebola.
- Author BiographyDaphne is well qualified to write about the Dark Continent. She was brought up in various parts of Africa and the Middle East where she and her family travelled widely, often camping in primitive locations. After secondary education and university in England she returned to Africa to become a teacher, university lecturer and headmistress. As a young woman living alone in Addis Ababa she experienced breathtaking events in the bloody Ethiopian attempted coup d'etat; and walked through bandit-infested regions to discover a route to the top of the highest mountain in Ethiopia. Three times she climbed not only to the top of Kilimanjaro but also into the volcano's then seldom-visited triple crater itself. In her GP14 sailing dinghy on vast Lake Malawi she and her friends spent time on islands so deserted that animals and birds, unafraid of humans, roamed between their tents. In 1943 she and her mother adventured alone from Cape Town to Cairo overland, and in 1971 she and her husband repeated that arduous journey in a Land Rover, taking their just born son with them. She now lives in an eccentric villa in Mallorca where she is an active member of various cultural societies. She has written several book as well as articles in Scientific and Walking journals.
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication14/06/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Out-of-print date08/09/2016
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight286 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Travel Guides
- AU $22.40New
- AU $14.93New
- AU $14.05New
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $43.92
- AU $36.28Trending at AU $37.10
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $38.82
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $21.23
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $22.40
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $12.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.