All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionMore than thirty-five years after the assassination of Archbishop Oscar Romero of San Salvador an outspoken opponent of injustice and defender of the poor his words remain as relevant and challenging as ever. In Through the Year with Oscar Romero, you ll encounter 365 passages from the archbishop s powerful homilies, curated to fit into your spiritual practice every day of the year. During his time serving the people of El Salvador s rural regions, Romero witnessed firsthand the suffering of the country s poor and dispossessed. Later, his outspoken disavowal of violence and repression was recorded in courageous homilies broadcast by radio throughout the country. Romero's homilies were so popular that in rural communities, the poorest of the poor would conserve their batteries all week in order to be able to listen to the archbishop s Sunday Mass. Archbishop Romero was shot to death on March 24, 1980, while performing Mass. Although his killer was never found, many blame his assassination on right-wing death squads. This rerelease of Through the Year with Oscar Romero features a new introduction celebrating Archbishop Romero s 2015 beatification, which named him a martyr and placed him one step closer to becoming a saint. Let Archbishop Romero accompany you throughout the year. You ll be inspired by the way he truly lived Jesus s teachings and what s more, you ll be spurred on to action yourself. As Romero himself put it: A church that does t provoke any crisis, preach a gospel that does t unsettle, proclaim a word of God that does t get under anyone's skin or a word of God that does t touch the real sin of the society in which it is being proclaimed: what kind of gospel is that?
- Author BiographyDr. Hodgson obtained her B.A. from Purdue in Spanish, her M.A. from New York University (in Madrid) in Spanish Literature and her Ph.D. from Purdue in Spanish and Latin American Literatures. She has taught at Purdue, Ohio State, California State University at Chico and at Xavier since 1986. She has published articles on Chilean literature and translations of Chilean literature and testimonies as well as translations of Chilean poetry and Latin American liberation theologians. She has also translated the diary of assassinated Archbishop Oscar Romero of El Salvador.
- PublisherFranciscan Media
- Date of Publication04/12/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFranciscan Media
- Weight263 g
- Width141 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Translated byIrene B Hodgson
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.