All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMuch has been written about Thurgood Marshall, but this is the first book to collect his own words. Here are briefs he filed as a lawyer, oral arguments for the landmark school desegregation cases, investigative reports on race riots and racism in the Army, speeches and articles outlining the history of civil rights and criticising the actions of more conservative jurists, Supreme Court opinions w widely cited in Constitutional law, a long and complete oral autobiography, and much more. Marshall's impact on American race relations was greater than that of anyone else this century, for it was he who ended legal segregation in the United States. His victories as a lawyer for the NAACP broke the colour line in housing, transportation, voting, and schools by overturning the long-established separate-but-equal doctrine. But Marshall was attentive to all social inequalities: Supreme Court justice has ever been more consistent in support of freedom of expression, affirmative action, women's rights, abortion rights, and the right to consensual sex among adults; justice has ever fought so hard against ecomic inequality, police brutality, and capital punishment.
- Author BiographyMark V. Tushnet is a professor of constitutional law at Georgetown University Law Center and is the author of Making Civil Rights Law: Thurgood Marshall and the Supreme Court, 1936-1961 and Making Constitutional Law: Thurgood Marshall and the Supreme Court, 1961-1991. He lives in Washington, D.C.
- Author(s)Thurgood Marshall
- PublisherA Cappella Books
- Date of Publication01/07/2001
- Series TitleThe Library of Black America
- Place of PublicationLos Angeles, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintA Cappella Books
- Weight226 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Volume editorMark V. Tushnet
- Foreword byRandall Kennedy
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.46
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.