All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt different times in its history Tibet has been rewned for pacifism and martial prowess, enlightenment and cruelty. The Dalai Lama may be the only religious leader who can inspire the devotion of agstics. Patrick French has been fascinated by Tibet since he was a teenager. He has read its history, agitated for its freedom, and risked arrest to travel through its remote interior. His love and kwledge inform every page of this learned, literate, and impassioned book. Talking with mads and Buddhist nuns, exiles and collaborators, French portrays a nation demoralized by a half-century of Chinese occupation and forced to depend on the patronage of Western dilettantes. He demolishes many of the myths accruing to Tibet including those centering around the radiant figure of the Dalai Lama. Combining the best of history, travel writing, and memoir, Tibet, Tibet is a work of extraordinary power and insight.
- Author BiographyPatrick French was born in England in 1966. He studied literature at the University of Edinburgh, and is the author of Younghusband: The Last Great Imperial Adventurer, which won the Somerset Maugham Award and the Royal Society of Literature W. H. Heinemann Prize, and Liberty or Death: India s Journey to Independence and Division, which won the London Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year Award. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Patrick French
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleVintage Departures
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Weight272 g
- Width143 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $13.16Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $29.89Trending at AU $32.53
- AU $18.42Trending at AU $29.75
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $14.85
- AU $18.42Trending at AU $24.15
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $19.41
- AU $24.47Trending at AU $27.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.