All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBilly Proctor, resident legend of Echo Bay, BC, recounts almost a century's worth of experience with this collection of stories, memories and local kwledge of the central BC coast region around Blackfish Sound. Situated in the beautiful Broughton Archipelago between rthern Vancouver Island and the mainland coast, this region boasts a history and culture as engaging as its stunning locale -- and body tells its story quite like Proctor. A lifelong fisherman, trapper, logger and, in later life, author, Proctor learned from both the indigeus Kwakwaka'wakw people and the settlers who came to live in Blackfish Sound. Along with his entertaining tales of the surrounding communities, Proctor also discusses the ingenious techlogy necessary to both fishing and everyday survival. Covering the natural and domestic history of the area and everything in between -- from recollections of old-time fishermen to Billy's own stories of sasquatches and other strange things -- this is a riveting and deeply moving account of a long and uniquely coastal life. Writing collaborator Yvonne Maximchuk's drawings illustrate Proctor's personal anecdotes as well as carefully detail an eclectic array of interesting items collected by Proctor throughout his lifetime for his personal museum. The book is t only a historical archive of immeasurable significance, it is a fascinating read for those interested in the Blackfish Sound region as well as an honest and whimsical look into the life and lessons learned by a local legend.'
- Author BiographyBill Proctor is a fisher, trapper, logger and author who has lived on the Central Coast for eighty years. He lives in Echo Bay, BC. Yvonne Maximchuk is a lifelong working artist, illustrator and author. Along with Tide Rips and Back Eddies, Maximchuk has also co-written Full Moon, Flood Tide (Harbour Publishing, 2003), her first book with Bill Proctor. She lives in Echo Bay, BC.
- Author(s)Billy Proctor,Yvonne Maximchuk
- PublisherHarbour Publishing
- Date of Publication01/10/2015
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintHarbour Publishing
- Content Note50+ b/w illus
- Weight358 g
- Width150 mm
- Height195 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $190.23New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.