Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThere are few places in the world more at ease with the steady march of naval history than Norfolk and Tidewater Virginia. Bruce Linder's detailed history and exciting images of the U.S. Navy in Hampton Roads provide a comprehensive portrayal of how a region that still likes to think of itself as a small southern city has helped mold nearly every facet of today's modern Navy. From privateers, enemy ships-of-the-line, and ironclads to aircraft carriers, nuclear-powered submarines, and the role of special forces, his compelling history traces the colorful and sometimes subtle nexus between expanding American naval prowess and regional dreams. This balanced chronicle of the distinctive naval character of Hampton Roads encompasses war at sea, courage, genius, leadership, and command entwined within a sometimes-stormy relationship between the Navy and its civic hosts. Some of the most identifiable names in American naval history - Decatur, Truxtun, Dale, Farragut, Buchanan, Halsey - have all made their indelible mark on Norfolk's legacy and some of the signature events of American history - the British surrender at Yorktown, the Battle of the Monitor and Virginia, and the defeat of the German U-boat - have all had a Hampton Roads focus. A discerning companion volume to the author's other illustrated history with a regional perspective, the award-winning San Diego's Navy, this work proves anew that the cities where American naval might is concentrated can influence it in fascinating and unique ways.
- Author BiographyBruce Linder is a naval historian and former naval officer who commanded a guided missile frigate and two major navy shore bases. He published San Diego's Navy with the Naval Institute Press in 2001 (see page XX). He is a resident of Coronado, California, where he works as a technology consultant.
- Author(s)Bruce Linder
- PublisherNaval Institute Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2005
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationAnnopolis
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNaval Institute Press
- Content Note175 mono/24 colour
- Weight1456 g
- Width286 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Foreword byDavid Poyer
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.