All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBridges built in timber are enjoying a significant revival, both for pedestrian and light traffic and increasingly for heavier loadings and longer spans. Timber's high strength-to-weight ratio, combined with the ease and speed of construction inherent in the off-site prefabrication methods used, make a timber bridge a suitable option in many different scenarios. This handbook gives technical guidance on forms, materials, structural design and construction techniques suitable for both small and large timber bridges. Eurocode 5 Part 2 (BS EN 1995-2) for the first time provides an international standard for the construction of timber bridges, removing a potential obstacle for engineers where timber construction for bridges has t - in recent centuries at least - been usual. Clearly illustrated throughout, this guide explains how to make use of this oldest construction material in a modern context to create sustainable, aesthetically pleasing, practical and durable bridges. Worldwide examples include Tourand Creek Bridge, Canada; Toijala, Finland; Punt la Resgia, Switzerland; Pont de Crest, France; and, Almorere Pylon Bridge, the Netherlands.
- Author BiographyChristopher J. Mettem worked for many years as an engineering consultant at TRADA and has led many research projects in timber structures, composites and connections, conservation work and timber bridges. Through contracts with government agencies he worked in Africa, Central and South America and in the UK with the Highways Agency. He has served on BS committees for structural timber and was a member of the timber Eurocodes drafting teams. He is now the Chairman of the Glued Laminated Timber Association, which he helped to found. Christopher was one of the three joint authors of Green Oak in Construction, which was shortlisted for the RIBA Book Awards, and has also written numerous other TRADA publications.
- Author(s)Christopher J. Mettem
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication14/04/2011
- SubjectCivil Engineering & Environmental Engineering
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSpon Press
- Content Note27 black & white tables, 327 colour illustrations, 5 colour line drawings
- Weight861 g
- Width219 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.