All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFocusing on the concept of time and the life cycle, this collection of articles examines Jewish life in the Talmudic period through the lens of Jewish law and custom of the time. The essays are the work of Nissan Rubin (one written in collaboration with Admiel Kosman) and come together to present the cultural perspective of the sages and scholars who produced the stepping-stones of Jewish life and custom. By using a structural approach, Rubin is able to identify processes of long-term change in a society that remains largely traditional and stable. Symbolic analysis supplies an additional dimension to these studies, enabling the reader to experience the cultural subtexts.
- Author BiographyNissan Rubin (Ph.D. - 1977, Bar-Ilan University) is Professor Emeritus, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Bar-Ilan University. His published books include: The Beginning of Life: Rites of Birth, Circumcision and Redemption of the First-Born in the Talmud and Midrash (1995), Research Methods in Social Science - Strategy, Design and Measurement (1997); The Joy of Life: Rites of Betrothal and Marriage in the Talmud and Midrash (2004).
- Author(s)Nissan Rubin
- PublisherAcademic Studies Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2008
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleJudaism and Jewish Life
- Place of PublicationBrighton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAcademic Studies Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight494 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.