Time to Heal: American Medical Education from the Turn of the Century to the Era of Managed Care by Kenneth M. Ludmerer (Paperback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $38.66Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $29.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe recipient of extraordinary critical acclaim, this magisterial book provides a landmark account of American medical education in the twentieth century, concluding with a call for the reformation of a system currently handicapped by managed care and by narrow, self-centred professional interests. Kenneth M. Ludmerer describes the evolution of American medical education from 1910, when a muck-raking report on medical diploma mills spurred the reform and expansion of medical schools, to the current era of managed care, when commercial interests once more have come to the fore, compromising the training of the nation's future doctors. Ludmerer portrays the experience of learning medicine from the perspective of students, house officers, faculty, administrators, and patients, and he traces the immense impact on academic medical centres of outside factors such as World War II, the National Institutes of Health, private medical insurance, and Medicare and Medicaid. Most tably, the book explores the very real threats to medical education in the current environment of managed care, viewing these developments t as a catastrophe but as a challenge to make many long overdue changes in medical education and medical practice. Paramic in scope, meticulously researched, brilliantly argued, and engagingly written, Time to Heal is both a stunning work of scholarship and a courageous critique of modern medical education. The definitive book on the subject, it provides an indispensable framework for making informed choices about the future of medical education and health care in America.
- Author BiographyKenneth M. Ludmerer is a recipient of the Abraham Flexner Award for Distinguished Service to Medical Education of the Association of American Medical Colleges, the William Welch Medal of the American Association for the History of Medicine, and the Distinguished Alumnus Award of The Johns Hopkins University. He was also the winner of the 2004 William Welch Medal of the American Association for the History of Medicine for this book.
- PrizesWinner of American Association for the History of Medicine William H. Welch Medal 2004.
- Author(s)Kenneth M. Ludmerer
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication10/02/2005
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Notenumerous tables and line drawings
- Weight739 g
- Width154 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine35 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.