All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionWhat common baking ingredient can conceal white rings on furniture? (Crushed pecans.) How do you detect a repair in a pottery vase you want to buy? (Look at it under a black light.) What's the best way to remove water damage from your great-grandfather's Bible? (Put it in your freezer.)
Answers to these questions and many more are included in this convenient handbook by long-time antiques expert Dr. Georgia Kemp Caraway. Organized alphabetically, Tips, Tools, and Techniques is easy to consult about the cleaning and maintenance of common antique and collectible objects, including metal advertising signs, glassware, clothing, and jewelry. Addenda provide information such as how to get a good deal at auction, the dates of Chinese dynasties, and U.S. patent numbers. An especially handy pronunciation guide helps the molingual among us speak with confidence about the provenance of Galle ware and Schlegelmilch porcelain.
Compact yet authoritative, this handbook will appeal to both dealers and buyers, as well as everyone with something from Grandma in the attic.
I use this guide in my work to locate otherwise hard-to-find tips for cleaning and restoring items I find in household sales to increase the value of the items. --John Bennett, of John Bennett Estate Appraisals
The tips provided in this book are practical, the directions are easy to follow, and best of all, they work. --Brett A. Jones, manager of the Antique Gallery
- Author Biography
Georgia Kemp Caraway (Ph.D. in Higher Education Administration) was executive director of the Denton County Museums for fourteen years. She writes a monthly column on antiques for the Denton Record-Chronicle and has appeared on Antiques Roadshow (R) as a generalist expert. She teaches several popular classes on antiques in Denton, Texas.
- Author(s)Georgia Kemp Caraway
- PublisherUniversity of North Texas Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/04/2012
- SubjectAntiques & Collectables
- Place of PublicationDenton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of North Texas Press,U.S.
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight300 g
- Width137 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine15 mm