All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSeries Editor: H. Douglas Brown Tips for Teaching Culture introduces English Language teachers to approaches they can use to build intercultural understanding. This practical reference book links specific techniques for teaching culture with contemporary research on intercultural communication. Topics covered include language, nverbal communication, identity, culture shock, cross-cultural adjustment, traditional ways of teaching culture, education, and social responsibility. Features: *Concrete tips in each chapter provide teachers with helpful suggestions on how to build cultural awareness. *What the research says and What the teacher can do sections link pedagogical research with classroom techniques. *Voices from the Classroom anecdotes share teachers' cross-cultural experiences. *Classroom activities illustrate over 50 ways teachers can build intercultural understanding. *Photocopiable handouts for classroom activities can be used with minimal preparation. *Glossary provides concise definitions of commonly used terms about intercultural communication. The Tips for Teaching series covers topics of practical classroom-centered interest for English language teachers. Written in clearly comprehnesible terms, each book offers soundly conceived practical approaches to classroom instruction that are firmly grounded in current pedagogical research.
- Author BiographyDr. Ann C. Wintergerst is professor of TESOL at St. John's University in New York City where she established and directed the university's first English as a Second Language Program. She has published books and articles on culture, the maintenance of heritage language, learning styles, classroom discourse, writing, and assessment. Ann holds a B.A. in German from St. John's University; an M.A. in TESOL, an Ed.M. in Applied Linguistics, and an Ed.D. in TESOL, all from Teachers College, Columbia University in New York. Born in Germany, she is bilingual in German and English. Joe McVeigh is a specialist in English language teaching. For more than 25 years he has taught at universities in the U.S. including Caltech, the University of Southern California, and Middlebury College. He has lived and worked in countries including China, India, Chile, and Hungary. He has taught students from more than 50 countries. In addition to writing, he consults for organizations, trains teachers, speaks at conferences and workshops, edits ESL books, and maintains a website on issues of interest to teachers of ESL. He lives and works in Middlebury, Vermont, U.S.A.
- Author(s)Ann C. Wintergerst,Joe McVeigh
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication05/08/2010
- SubjectELT Course Materials
- Place of PublicationUpper Saddle River
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPearson Education (US)
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight349 g
- Width182 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.