All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionOne hundred and fifty years after Kansas became a state, historians are still uncovering the implications of its history as a territory. From the very first elections in late 1854 and early 1855, the local opposition continued to claim the government was illegitimate. While most histories focus on the facts of the violence, in To Govern the Devil in Hell Ponce focuses on the question of why both the local and national governments allowed the violence to continue unstaunched for so long. By focusing on governance of the territory, Ponce illuminates this fraught period of the state's history.
- Author BiographyPearl Ponce is an associate professor of history at Ithaca College and is the editor of Kansas's War: The Civil War in Documents.
- Author(s)Pearl T. Ponce
- PublisherNorthern Illinois University Press
- Date of Publication05/08/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationDekalb, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthern Illinois University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight680 g
- Width90 mm
- Height60 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.