All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow can cradling, handling, or rubbing a text be said, ethically, to have made something happen? What, as readers or interpreters, may come off in our hands in as we maculate or mark the books we read? For Adam Zachary Newton, reading is anembodied practice wherein ethics becomes a matter of tact-in the doubled sense of touch and regard. With the image of the book lying in the hands of its readers as insistent refrain, To Make the Hands Impure cuts a provocative cross-disciplinary swath through classical Jewish texts, modern Jewish philosophy, film and performance, literature, translation, and the material text. Newton explores the ethics of reading through a range of texts, from the Talmud and Midrash to Conrad's Nostromo and Pascal's Le Memorial, from works by Henry Darger and Martin Scorsese to the National September 11 Memorial and a synagogue in Havana, Cuba. In separate chapters, he conducts masterly treatments of Emmanuel Levinas, Mikhail Bakhtin, and Stanley Cavell by emphasizing their performances as readers-a trebled orientation to Talmud, vel, and theater/film. To Make the Hands Impure stages the encounter of literary experience and scriptural traditions-the difficult and the holy-through an ambitious, singular, and invative approach marked in equal measure by erudition and imaginative daring.
- Author BiographyAdam Zachary Newton is currently University Professor at Yeshiva University where he holds the Ronald P. Stanton Chair in Literature and the Humanities.
- Author(s)Adam Zachary Newton
- PublisherFordham University Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2014
- SubjectLiterary Theory
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFordham University Press
- Weight3 g
- Width168 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine36 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $36.17Trending at AU $70.69
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.