All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBy mapping the contour of Thornton Wilder's major plays and vels, this book offers a fresh reading of his deceptively unfashionable art of allegorical narrative, and aims to reaffirm Malcolm Cowley's perspicacious judgment: (Wilder is) one of the toughest and most complicated minds in contemporary America. After a review of the history and scholarship of allegory, the author chrologically traces Wilder's extensive, complex and resilient engagement with allegory, a genre employed t only for literary manifestation but for philosophical inquiry. Moving expertly from Wilder's early religious playlets through his Pulitzerwinning fictions and plays to his largely obscure late writings, this study reveals that allegory and Wilder studies are two mutually illuminating topics. What distinguishes Wilder from other modern allegorists is t only his self-reflexive shuttling between the vel and the drama, but his tenacious persistence on pressing for the sublime universality of our mundane experiences in a postsacral world. Overturning the common characterization of Wilder as a preachy voice of Puritan religiosity, this book argues for the centrality of ambiguity that produces nuanced meanings in Wilder's allegorical narratives.
- Author BiographyHansong Dan is Associate Professor of English at Nanjing University. He received his PhD from Nanjing University in English and American Literature in 2009. His fields of research include 20
th century American Literature and post-9/11 Fiction Studies. He is also a translator of Thomas Pynchon and Thornton Wilder.
- Author(s)Hansong Dan
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication12/03/2012
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight330 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.