All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFifty years after Freedom Summer, To Write in the Light of Freedom offers a glimpse into the hearts of the African American youths who attended the Mississippi Freedom Schools in 1964. One of the most successful initiatives of Freedom Summer, more than forty Freedom Schools opened doors to thousands of young African American students. Here they learned civics, politics, and history, curriculum that helped them instead of the degrading lessons supporting segregation and Jim Crow and sanctioned by White Citizen's Councils. Young people enhanced their self-esteem and gained a new outlook on the future. And at more than a dozen of these schools, students wrote, edited, printed and published their own newspapers. For more than five decades, the Mississippi Freedom Schools have served as powerful models of educational activism. Yet, little has been published that documents black Mississippi youths' responses to this profound experience.
- Author BiographyWilliam Sturkey, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA is a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of History at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. His work has appeared in the Journal of Mississippi History and the Journal of African American History. Jon N. Hale, Charleston, South Carolina, USA is an assistant professor at the College of Charleston in South Carolina. His work has appeared in the Journal of African American History, History of Education Quarterly, South Carolina Historical Magazine, and Journal of Social Studies Research.
- PublisherUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Date of Publication30/08/2016
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleMargaret Walker Alexander Series in African American Studies
- Place of PublicationJackson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Content Note, black & white illustrations
- Weight304 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byJon N. Hale,William Sturkey
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.