All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNina Sovich had always yearned for adventures in faraway places; she imagined herself leading the life of a solitary traveler. Yet at the age of thirty-four, she found herself married and contemplating motherhood. Catching her reflection in a window spotted with Paris rain, she longer saw the fearless woman who spent her youth traveling in Cairo, Lahore, and the West Bank. Unwittingly, she had followed life's script, and w she needed to cast it out. Inspired by female explorers like Mary Kingsley, who explored Gabon's jungle in the 1890s, and Karen Blixen, who ran a farm in Kenya during World War I, Sovich packed her bags and hopped on the next plane to Africa in search of adventure. To the Moon and Timbuktu takes listeners on a fast-paced trek through Western Sahara, Mali, Mauritania, and Niger, bringing their textures and ?avors into vivid relief. On her travels, Sovich encounters rough-and-tumble Chinese sailors, a Venezuelan doctor working himself to death in Chinguetti, indifferent French pensioners RVing along the coast, and a close-knit circle of Nigerien women who adopt her into their fold, showing her the promise of Africa's future. This lyrical memoir will transport you to the breathtaking landscapes of West Africa, whose stark beauty will instill wonder in even the most experienced traveler. Sovich's journey reveals that sometimes we must pursue that distant glimmer on the horizon in order to find the things we value most.
- Author BiographyNina Sovich was born in New Canaan, Connecticut, to a Swedish mother and an American father. Her work has appeared in the Wall Street Journal, the Christian Science Monitor, Fortune Small Business, the Patriot Ledger, and Reuters.com. She lives in Paris with her husband, Florent, and their two children.
- Author(s)Nina Sovich
- PublisherAmazon Publishing
- Date of Publication11/10/2016
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationSeattle
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLittle A
- Weight340 g
- Width140 mm
- Height208 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.