All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionGentlemen, we are going to capture Tobruk and destroy it. 'Operation Agreement' started as a fairly simple plan to destroy Rommel's bomb-proof oil-storage tanks at Tobruk on the eve of Alamein. But, catching the imagination of GHQ, the plan swballed alarmingly. As well as a commando unit led by the plan's originator, Colonel Haselden, it came to include the RAF, the Royal Navy, the Marines and two of the largest destroyers in the Mediterranean. It was a daring attempt to rob Rommel at one stroke of the three essentials to success in North Africa - oil, a supply port and shipping. But the calculated risks began to out balance the chances of success when it seemed that every dockyard worker in Alexandria and every cocktail-party-goer in Cairo knew about the raid before the officers and men set out. The operation went on, and became a tragedy of slaughtered men and sunken ships. Tobruk Commando is a classic adventure story of the Second World War. The fast-moving action centres on the small commando of men which set out secretly through the deserts towards Tobruk. After a long journey across the desert sand, they arrived disguised as a group of POWs and their German captors. Expertly written, this is a wonderful tale of heroic bluff and a venture to test the courage and nerves of the toughest men.
- Author BiographyGordon Holmes Landsborough, (1913-1983), English publisher, author and bookseller, was in the forefront of change in the paperback publishing in England during the 1950s to 1980s. He was noted for his prolific output as an author and his books include Long Run to Tobruk and Benghazi Breakout.
- Author(s)Gordon Landsborough
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication30/10/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationBarnsley
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFrontline Books
- Content Note16 pages of b/w plates
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.