All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTobruk narrates the taking of Tobruk as part of a general thrust in North Africa by Allied forces. A panicked Winston Churchill wrote: Tobruk seems to be the place to be held to the death without thought of retirement...thing must hamper the capture of Tobruk . In the dark heart of World War II, when Hitler turned his attentions to conquering North Africa, a distracted and far-flung Allied force could t give its all to the defence of the key city of Tobruk in Libya. So the job was left to the roughest, toughest bunch they could muster. Tobruk is the story of an incredible battle in excruciating desert heat through nine long months, against the might of Adolf Hitler's formidable Afrika Korps. This force's defence of Tobruk against the Afrika Korps' armoured division is one of the great battles of all time, yet rarely talked about. Drawing on extensive source material - including diaries and letters, some never published before - this extraordinary book is the definitive account of this remarkable battle. While Peter Fitzsimons is a celebrated historian, his popularity stems from his fantastic storytelling. Tobruk is written in a narrative style, putting the reader next to men such as General Leslie Morshead as he decides the fate of his men, next to men such as Jack Harris, as he stands in the blood of an injured mate. While detailed and well researched, Tobruk reads like a vel.
- Author BiographyPeter FitzSimons is a journalist and author of international renown who has interviewed dignitaries from President George Bush to Mother Theresa. He is one of the Sydney Morning Herald's most popular columnists, and is also a regular contributor to the International Herald Tribune and London Daily Telegraph.
- Author(s)Peter FitzSimons
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty Ltd
- Date of Publication28/06/2006
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationNew South Wales
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintHarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations, portraits
- Weight990 g
- Width163 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine51 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $29.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.