All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince the beginning of its history, Islam has encountered other religious communities both in Arabia and in the territories conquered during its expansion. Muslims faced other religions from the position of a ruling power and were therefore able to determine the nature of that relationship in accordance with their world-view and beliefs. Yohanan Friedmann's original and erudite study examines questions of religious tolerance as they appear in the Qur'an and in the prophetic tradition, and analyses the principle that Islam is exalted above all religions, discussing the ways in which this principle was reflected in various legal prouncements. The book also considers the various interpretations of the Qur'anic verse according to which 'No compulsion is there in religion ...', ting that, despite the apparent meaning of this verse, Islamic law allowed the practice of religious coercion against Manichaeans and Arab idolaters, as well as against women and children in certain circumstances.
- Author BiographyYohanan Friedmann is Max Shloessinger Professor of Islamic Studies at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. His publications include Prophecy Continuous: Aspects of Ahmadi Religious Thought and its Medieval Background (2002).
- Author(s)Yohanan Friedmann
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication08/06/2006
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Islamic Civilization
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight370 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Series Edited byDavid Morgan
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.92Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.28Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.