Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $13.00Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe story of Tom-All-Alone's takes place in the 'space between' two masterpieces of mid-Victorian fiction: Bleak House and The Woman in White - overlapping with them, and re-imagining them for a contemporary reader, with a modern understanding of the grimmer realities of Victorian society. Charles Maddox, dismissed from the police force, is working as a private detective and can only hope to follow in his uncle's formidable footsteps as an eminent thief-taker. On a cold and bright Autumn morning, a policeman calls on Charles at his lodgings with information that may be related to a case he is working on. He goes to a ruined cemetery to find a shallow grave containing the remains of four babies has been discovered. After examining them he concludes they are t related to his investigation, which is to find a young girl abandoned in a workhouse 16 years before, when her mother died. But all is t as it first appears. As he's drawn into ather case at the behest of the eminent but feared lawyer, Edward Tulkinghorn, London's sinister underbelly begins to emerge. From the first gruesome murder, Charles has a race against time to establish the root of all evil. Tom's-All-Alone is 'Dickens but darker' - without the comedy, without the caricature, and a style all its own. The vel explores a dark underside of Victorian life that Dickens and Collins hinted at - a world in which young women are sexually abused, unwanted babies summarily disposed of, and those that discover the grim secrets of great men brutally eliminated.
- Author BiographyLynn Shepherd lives near Oxford, with her husband. She studied English at Oxford in the 1980s, and went back to do a doctorate in 2003. In between she spent 15 years in business, first in the City, and later in PR and has been a professional copywriter for the last ten years. She published her first novel Murder at Mansfield Park in 2010. Find out more on www.lynn-shepherd.com.
- Author(s)Lynn Shepherd
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication06/09/2012
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight302 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best Selling in Fiction Books
- AU $15.08New
- AU $8.05Used
- AU $65.33New
- AU $52.51Used
A Game of Thrones: The Story Continues: The Complete Box Set of All 7 Books by George R. R. Martin (Paperback, 2012)
- AU $53.36New
- AU $47.50Used
- AU $16.57New
- AU $18.33New
- AU $27.95New
- AU $6.80New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $49.95Trending at AU $57.17
- AU $11.68Trending at AU $12.39
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $15.95
- AU $55.73Trending at AU $57.80
- AU $33.92Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $21.18Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $20.66Trending at AU $22.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.