All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStuff Happens is an important new series for boys aged between 7 and 11 about everyday challenges. Created by series editor, Susannah McFarlane, and written by established authors Tony Wilson, Andrew Daddo, Philip Gwynne, Will Kostakis, Oliver Phommavanh, Scot Gardner, Justin D'Ath, James Roy, Pat Flynn and Alex McDiarmid, each book features a different character and follows them as they overcome a particular everyday challenge. It explores those everyday struggles in life that boys can sometimes be reluctant to express: quarrels with mates, a bad day at school, fear of disappointing mum and dad, rejection and t fitting in. Stuff Happens. Real-life stories for boys. Suitable for beginner and newly confident readers. Stuff happens sometimes. Everyday stuff. At school, at home, with sport, with mates. For Tom it happened during a tennis match. Tom Conrs is a very good tennis player. When it comes to hitting a ball over a net he can do it better than almost anyone else his age, including the state-ranked Zac Zepharis who trains at the same club as Tom and also goes to Monvale Primary. Tom's problem is that he struggles to control his nerves in a match, particularly on his serve. His left arm seems to have a mind of its own and he can't even toss the ball up straight, let alone hit the serve powerfully into a corner of the box like Zac can. Tom was fine until 6 months ago when he held match point against Zac in the club championship, only to serve a double fault and lose the match. He thinks about this loss all the time, and ever since his serve and game have got progressively worse. Can Tom find a way to overcome his nerves? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMHA_hUJXy4 http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-features/books-for-boys-series-stuff-happens-helps-show-boys-how-to-deal-with-their-emotions/story-fni3wj64-1227246165147 http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/booksandartsdaily/stuff-happens3a-books-for-boys/5649918 Praise for Stuff Happens 'Stories about boys, aimed at boys and containing real-life stories of their school and home life are rare. Even rarer are those that have readily identifiable characters and situations, and engage, amuse and inform. But here they are.' 'An exciting new series written specifically for boys aged from seven to eleven ...great additions for school libraries and for engaging reluctant boy readers. Outstanding!' Read Plus 'The fantastic Stuff Happens series.' reviewZOO 'I love a book that talks in a kid's voice. It makes us feel important and special. The thing I like the most about these books are that they tell different perspectives of everyday things in life.' Mr 10 - Readingtree.com.au 'The awareness of the emotional life of boys is slowly being recognised as a critical factor into the development of boys to be strong and courageous sensitive men. Stuff Happens explores feelings and emotions in an entertaining and humorous way, allowing boys to understand that it is OK to express emotion. This can only be positive! I highly recommend and love the books!' Deborah Jepsen, Educational and Developmental Psychologist - Melbourne Child Psychology / School Psychology Services 'As a mum to two boys aged 8 and 10, I was thrilled to find a book series that provided very real 'boy dilemmas' and connected feelings and behaviours, which can be really confusing for boys. What was even more exciting was how much the boys ate it up. My eldest read the first book in one sitting and I was back at the bookshop the next day to buy the entire series! My youngest loved being read to and was so engaged and interested in all the characters and their issues. Can't wait for the next instalment.' Marita Evans - Mum to Rupert, 10, and Henry, 8
- Author BiographyPat Flynn grew up running around an old dairy farm in Queensland, before moving to Canberra to attend the Australian Institute of Sport on a tennis scholarship. After playing and coaching on the professional circuit he became a teacher, where his observations of young people - their interests and stories - led to him writing about them. Pat Flynn now writes books for a living, in a house near the beach on the Sunshine Coast. He likes to start the day off with a surf and end it walking along the beach with his wife. His books include Get Rich Quick, Don't Kiss Girls, How to Get Dumped, Aussie Chomp: The Mal Rider, The Best Ballgirl and Tom in the Stuff Happens series.
- Author(s)Pat Flynn
- PublisherPenguin Books Australia
- Date of Publication29/07/2015
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Series TitleStuff Happens
- Place of PublicationHawthorn
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2015
- Weight96 g
- Width129 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.