Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $146.50Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $116.94+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDiscover a unique and modern treatment of topology employing a cross-disciplinary approach Implemented recently to understand diverse topics, such as cell biology, superconductors, and robot motion, topology has been transformed from a theoretical field that highlights mathematical theory to a subject that plays a growing role in nearly all fields of scientific investigation. Moving from the concrete to the abstract, Topology and Its Applications displays both the beauty and utility of topology, first presenting the essentials of topology followed by its emerging role within the new frontiers in research. Filling a gap between the teaching of topology and its modern uses in real-world phemena, Topology and Its Applications is organized around the mathematical theory of topology, a framework of rigorous theorems, and clear, elegant proofs. This book is the first of its kind to present applications in computer graphics, ecomics, dynamical systems, condensed matter physics, biology, robotics, chemistry, cosmology, material science, computational topology, and population modeling, as well as other areas of science and engineering. Many of these applications are presented in optional sections, allowing an instructor to customize the presentation. The author presents a diversity of topological areas, including point-set topology, geometric topology, differential topology, and algebraic/combinatorial topology. Topics within these areas include:* Open sets * Compactness * Homotopy * Surface classification * Index theory on surfaces * Manifolds and complexes * Topological groups * The fundamental group and homology Special core intuition segments throughout the book briefly explain the basic intuition essential to understanding several topics. A generous number of figures and examples, many of which come from applications such as liquid crystals, space probe data, and computer graphics, are all available from the publisher's Web site.
- Author BiographyWILLIAM F. BASENER, PhD, is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, New York. He received his PhD in mathematics in 2001 from Boston University. His research interests include dynamical systems, differential equations, applied topology, economics, and the topology of manifolds. Dr. Basener is the recipient of numerous teaching awards.
- Author(s)William F. Basener
- PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Date of Publication14/11/2006
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitlePure and Applied Mathematics: A Wiley Series of Texts, Monographs and Tracts
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight694 g
- Width164 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $6.15New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.