All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.12
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.48
About this product
- DescriptionThe contents of this book focus on the recent investigations in molecular bi- ogywhereapplicationsoftopologyseemtobeverystimulating. Thevolumeis based on the talks and lectures given by participants of the three-month p- gram TopologyinCondensedMatter ,whichwasheldintheMaxPlanck- stitut fur Physik komplexer Systeme, Dresden, Germany, 8May-31July 2002, under the scienti?c direction of Professors M. Kl' eman, S. Novikov and - self. The aim of this program was to discuss recent applications of topology to several areas in condensed matter physics and molecular biology. The ?rst volume Topology in Condensed Matter is concerned with m- ern applications of geometrical and topological techniques to such new and classic ?elds of physics like electron theory of metals, theory of na-crystals, aperiodic and liquid crystals, quantum computation and so on. This volume is published simultaneously in Springer Series in Solid-State Physics . The present volume gives an exposition of the role of topology in the theory of proteins and DNA. The last thirty years a?rmed very e?cient - plications of modern mathematics, especially topology, in physics. The union of mathematics and physics was very stimulating for both sides. On the other hand, the impact of mathematics in biology has been rather limited. H- ever here also some interesting results were obtained. In particular, there are applications of kt theory in the theory of circular closed DNA. The - cent discoveries in molecular biology indicate future successful applications of topology.
- Author BiographyM.Monastyrsky is a professor of mathematics and theoretical physics at the Institute of Theoretical and Experimental Physics,Moscow,Russia, graduated the mathematical department of Moscow state university(1967), author of numerous papers in diferent fields of mathematics and theoretical physics including the monograph :Topology in Gauge Fields and Condensed Matter (Plenum,1993 ) and two other books:Riemann,Topology Physics,Birkhauser,Boston,1999 ,2nd ed. and Modern mathematics in the light of Fields medals,AKPeters,1997.I gave invited plenary talks on many conferences and was the visiting professor of many universities and institutes including IAS(Princeton),Harvard,Princeton and Yale Universities (USA),Cambridge and Oxford Universities (Great Britain), IHES and Universite de Paris (France).
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- Date of Publication01/08/2005
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleBiological and Medical Physics, Biomedical Engineering
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. K
- Content Note112 black & white illustrations, 6 colour illustrations, 3 black & white tables, biography
- Weight537 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byMichael I. Monastyrsky
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.