All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThe New York Times bestselling author of The Compass of Pleasure examines how our sense of touch is interconnected with our emotions Dual-function receptors in our skin make mint feel cool and chili peppers hot. Without the brain s dedicated centers for emotional touch, an orgasm would feel more like a sneeze convulsive, but t especially nice. From skin to nerves to brain, the organization of our body s touch circuits is a complex and often counterintuitive system that affects everything from our social interactions to our general health and development. In Touch, neuroscientist and bestselling author David J. Linden explores this critical interface between our bodies and the outside world, between ourselves and others. Along the way, he answers such questions as: Why do women have more refined detection with their fingertips than men? Is there a biological basis for the use of acupuncture to relieve pain?How do drugs like Ecstasy heighten and motivate sensual touch?Why can t we tickle ourselves? Linking biology and behavioral science, Touch offers an entertaining and enlightening answer to how we feel in every sense of the word.
- Author BiographyDavid J. Linden is a professor of neuroscience at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. The author of The Accidental Mind (2007) and The Compass of Pleasure (2011), he served for many years as the chief editor of The Journal of Neurophysiology. He lives in Baltimore, Maryland with his two children.
- Author(s)Professor David J Linden
- PublisherPenguin Books
- Date of Publication26/01/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin Books
- Weight227 g
- Width140 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.