All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs the travel industry develops at warp speed, challenges for practitioners and academics have grown exponentially. Taking a multidisciplinary approach, this collection discusses some present trends in the development of tourism. The first section explores and sharpens some of the tools of the trade with special attention to content analysis and public-private ownership of tourist attractions. In the second part the focus is on the challenges posed by globalisation and the emergence of new nation states. The final chapters discuss new attractions such as space tourism and the impact of cultural events on urban destinations. Both the introduction and the conclusion assess a number of trends that delineate the future from a multidisciplinary perspective. Special attention is devoted to threats and opportunities created by unexpected events like global terrorism, SARS, or the outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease. While all of them have exacted a heavy toll on the development of the industry, further growth has nevertheless remained unabated once their impact was assessed and duly digested by the public.
- Author BiographyJulio Aramberri is Professor of Tourism at Drexel University, USA. He is a member of the editorial boards of Annals of Tourism Research, Tourism Recreation Research, and the Journal of Sustainable Tourism. He has authored five books on tourism and other related sociological matters. Between 1987 and 1990 he was General Director of the Tourist Authority of Spain. Richard Butler is Professor of Tourism at the University of Surrey, joining that institution after thirty years at the University of Western Ontario, Canada. His research interests have been in the process of destination development, the impacts of tourism on destinations, and literary and historical relationships between tourism and islands.
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication20/12/2004
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Series TitleAspects of Tourism
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo.20
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintChannel View Publications
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight524 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byJulio Aramberri,Richard Butler
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.