All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA new model of tourism development has recently emerged out of a widening concern for the environment. Kwn variously as 'ecotourism', 'new tourism', 'socially responsible tourism', huge claims are made for it in terms of what it might offer in promoting national tourism development. Yet how well does this new model work in practice? And what does it mean to be an international tourist encountering the cultural, political and ecomic particularities of the South African experience? Garth Allen and Frank Brennan seek to explore the realities of this new morality of tourism as experienced in four important tourist areas of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa: the Greater St Lucia Wetland Park - South Africa's third largest reserve and a vast and beautiful area accredited World Heritage Status; the Phinda Resource Reserve, rewned for its diverse habitats and rich wildlife; Kosi Bay, a wetland area of international importance; and the Durban beachfront. For the first time, they try to locate the international tourist within the moral maze of tourism in the new South Africa. Their analysis can be applied to other societies committed to the belief that investing in tourism development will be a fast track to ecomic development and will resonate with the moral challenges facing the international tourist.
- Author BiographyGarth Allen is Director of the Centre for Social and Educational Research at the University College of St Mark & St John, University of Plymouth. Frank Brennan is Research Fellow at the Centre.
- Author(s)Frank Brennan,Garth Allen
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication24/09/2004
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Series TitleTourism, Retailing and Consumption
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 8
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note8 illustrations
- Weight612 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.96
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.47
- AU $60.86Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.87
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.