All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTurmoil still grips the Middle East and fear w paralyzes post-9/11 America. The comforts and challenges of this book are thus as timely as when first published in 1987. With new reflections on the future of Judaism and Israel, Ellis underscores the enduring problem of justice. Ellis' use of liberation theology to make connections between the Holocaust and contemporary communities from the Third World reminds both Jews and oppressed Christians that they share common ground in the experiences of abandonment, suffering, and death. The connections also reveal that Jews and Christians share a common cause in the battle against idolatry--represented w by obsessions for personal affluence, national security, and ethnic survival. According to Ellis, Jews and Christians must never allow the reality of anti-Semitism to become an excuse for evading solidarity with the oppressed peoples--be they African, Asian, Latin American or, especially, Palestinian.
- Author BiographyMARC H. ELLIS was appointed to the J.M. Dawson Institute of Chruch State Studies at Baylor University in 1998, and was designated in 1999 as both University Professor of American and Jewish Studies and Director of the Center for American and Jewish Studies. He holds an M.A. in American Studies from Florida State University and a Ph.D. in Contemporary Intellectual and Religious Studies from Marquette University. Dr. Ellis is distinguished for his specialization in the areas of Jewish, Christian, and Third World liberation theology, Holocaust and Post-Holocaust theology, and Twentieth-Century Jewish-Christian theology, thought, and dialogue.
- Author(s)Marc H. Ellis
- PublisherBaylor University Press
- Date of Publication11/11/2011
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationWaco
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBaylor University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight255 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Foreword byArchbishop Desmond Tutu,Gustavo Gutierrez
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $49.60Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.15
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.