All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the most famous dancers of the early 1900s, Loie Fuller created an extraordinary sensation in Paris with her manipulations of hundreds of yards of silk, swirling high above her and lit dramatically from below. Her work inspired artists such as Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Auguste Rodin, and Stephane Mallarme, and she embodied many of the decorative themes of Art Nouveau. Because her work highlights important issues in dance such as the role of techlogy in defining a dancing signature, the emergence of a modern movement sensibility, and the role of popular entertainment in early modern dance, Fuller is a critical figure through whom to study the changing representations of women dancers in the early twentieth century. Author Ann Cooper Albright places Fuller in the context of fin-de-siecle culture and offers a compelling analysis of Fuller's invations in lighting and movement that includes full-color reproductions of original posters, archival photos, and magazine and newspaper clippings. Traces of Light adds significantly to the literature on twentieth-century dance, illuminating a pioneer who helped to shape modern performance and stagecraft. There is a digital web companion to this book at http://learningobjects.wesleyan.edu/wespress/traces/.
- Author BiographyANN COOPER ALBRIGHT teaches dance at Oberlin College, where she is also chair of the gender and women's studies program. She is the author or editor of three previous WUP books: Choreographing Difference: The Body and Identity in Contemporary Dance (2003), Taken by Surprise: A Dance Improvisation Reader, co-edited with David Gere (1997), and Moving History/ Dancing Cultures: A Dance History Reader, co-edited with Ann Dils (2001).
- Author(s)Ann Cooper Albright
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication04/09/2007
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWesleyan University Press
- Content Note20 b/w illustrations, 42 colour plates
- Weight953 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.