All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe story of writing in the digital age is every bit as messy as the ink-stained rags that littered the floor of Gutenberg s print shop or the hot molten lead of the Litype machine. During the period of the pivotal growth and widespread adoption of word processing as a writing techlogy, some authors embraced it as a marvel while others decried it as the death of literature. The product of years of archival research and numerous interviews conducted by the author, Track Changes is the first literary history of word processing.Matthew Kirschenbaum examines how the interests and ideals of creative authorship came to coexist with the computer revolution. Who were the first adopters? What kind of anxieties did they share? Was word processing perceived as just a better typewriter or something more? How did it change our understanding of writing?Track Changes balances the stories of individual writers with a consideration of how the seemingly ineffable act of writing is always grounded in particular instruments and media, from quills to keyboards. Along the way, we discover the candidates for the first vel written on a word processor, explore the surprisingly varied reasons why writers of both popular and serious literature adopted the techlogy, trace the spread of new metaphors and ideas from word processing in fiction and poetry, and consider the fate of literary scholarship and memory in an era when the final remnants of authorship may consist of folders on a hard drive or documents in the cloud.
- Author BiographyMatthew G. Kirschenbaum is Associate Professor of English at the University of Maryland, College Park.
- Author(s)Matthew G. Kirschenbaum
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication10/05/2016
- SubjectInventions & Technology: General Interest
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Belknap Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.