All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRichard Harris's w classic study on trade and industrial policy was written for the Royal Commission on the Ecomic Union and Development Prospects for Canada (also kwn as the Macdonald Commission). First published in 1985 when the Canadian ecomy faced dramatic changes arising from the emergence of manufacturing competitors among newly industrialized nations and increased protectionism in the US, its recommendations were instrumental in the negotiation of the North America Free Trade Agreement. Addressing the key issues surrounding the design and choice of policies for the Canadian ecomy, Trade, Industrial Policy, and International Competition reviews the theory and evidence concerning trade liberalization as a mechanism to enhance ecomic growth, disinvestment in sections that are disadvantageous in the international marketplace, and future problems for the marketing sector caused by increasing competition from developing countries. Drawing from many streams of conventional ecomic thinking, Harris develops an original and sophisticated model for assessing the broader ecomic impacts of trade liberalization on the Canadian ecomy. He concludes that free trade and industrial policy should be regarded as complementary, t substitutes for one ather, and recommends a free trade agreement with the United States as a top priority. A new introduction by David Wolfe situates this work within its time and shows how Harris's analytical insights and policy prescriptions are as relevant today as they when they were originally crafted three decades ago.
- Author BiographyRichard G. Harris is professor of economics at Simon Fraser University. David A. Wolfe is professor of political science and co-director of the Innovation Policy Lab at the Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto.
- Author(s)Richard G. Harris
- PublisherMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2015
- SubjectPolitics & Government: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleCarleton Library Series
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Weight340 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.