Traditional Barn Dances with Calls and Fiddling by Dudley Laufman, Jacqueline Laufman (Mixed media product, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $77.52Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $29.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPreserving cultural influences, this unique collection of American community folk dances and their historical origins are appropriate for educational and recreational groups of all ages and abilities that gather for social barn dancing fun. No previous experience is needed to be able to teach, dance, and/or call the 46 dances described in this book. As many school curriculums require dance, rhythm and music, preferably integrated with cultural and historical validity, this book/DVD/two CD package provides authentic fiddle music, sheet music, folklore and facts about the dances and easy-to-follow step descriptions.The dances in this invaluable collection and the tunes are the same in most instances as those that have been done in America, Canada, Australia and the UK for over 350 years. Social folk dancing has withstood the test of time because it appeals to one's need and sense of community, family and friendship combined with the sound of the joyful music played on fiddles and other folk instruments. The music for the dances are included on two CDs bound in the book. The music is provided both with prompting calls and without calls. A 30-minute DVD is included to show how all ages can quickly learn and share community values. This comprehensive package encourages interdisciplinary learning as students can be challenged to t only learn about the historical context and do the dances, but also play the tunes.
- Author BiographyDudley Laufman has been playing and calling these dances for 60 years at schools, public dances and private events; all ages take part. Working together as the band Two Fiddles, Dudley and Jacqueline Laufman average nearly 300 dance and music engagements per year. Thus, the dance calls are concise. A dance fiddler for 22 years and having majored in English, Jacqueline provides integrated writing and organizational skills that brings Dudley's lifelong devotion, art and skill to many. This enables others to easily learn how to dance the dances and how to call them. Dudley's innate understanding of the rhythm of jigs and reels is woven throughout the dance calls resulting in a melodic union of lively music and dancers able to move through the calls as an organic whole. The dynamic history and tradition of these dances come alive through his artful mastery and vision of community dance as a social event. All of this is succinctly presented on the audio CDs and within the written portions of this book.
- Author(s)Dudley Laufman,Jacqueline Laufman
- PublisherHuman Kinetics Publishers
- Date of Publication01/04/2009
- FormatMixed media product
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationChampaign
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHuman Kinetics Publishers
- Content Note43 illustrations, 88 photos
- Weight658 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Contained items statementContains Paperback and 2 Audio CDs and DVD
- Edition Statementlarge type edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.46
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.