All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCinema has played a key role in articulating the impact and legacies of the so-called anni di piombo in Italy, the years of intra-national political terrorism that lasted from 1969 until well into the 1980s. Tragedia all'italiana offers an analytical exploration of Italian cinema's representation and refraction of those years, showing how a substantial and still growing corpus of films has shaped the ways in which Italians have assimilated and remembered the events of this period. This is the first mograph in English on terrorism and film in Italy, a topic that is attracting the interest of a wide range of scholars of film, cultural studies and critical terrorism studies. It provides vel analytical categories for an intriguing corpus of films and offers careful accounts of works and genres as diverse as La meglio gioventu, Buongior, tte, the poliziottesco (cop film) and the commedia all'italiana. The author argues that fiction film can provide an effective frame for the elaboration of historical experience but that the cinema is symptomatic both of its time and of the codes of the medium itself - in terms of its elisions, omissions and evasions as well as its emphases. The book is a study of a body of films that has elaborated the experience of terrorism as a fascinating and even essential part of the heritage of modern Italy.
- Author BiographyAlan O'Leary teaches Italian film and modern culture at the University of Leeds. He has published extensively on terrorism in Italian cinema, including an Italian monograph (also entitled Tragedia all'italiana, 2007) and an edited volume, Imagining Terrorism (with Pierpaolo Antonello, 2009), as well as on contemporary popular Italian film (the 'cinepanettone'). He co-edits the annual film issue of The Italianist.
- Author(s)Alan O'Leary
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication30/03/2011
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleItalian Modernities
- Series Part/Volume Number9
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2011
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight430 g
- Width150 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.95Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.