All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGet to kw the soul and heart behind Spirit Fitness Training in Joanne Blackerby's first book, Training Effects, a journey through her tumultuous to triumphant life interwoven with tales from and about those she has trained, plus her keen observations on the pursuit and profession of personal training. It broadens and enhances the art of the memoir to reveal the craft of navigating oneself through life's chaos and challenges, and sketches out the map of the individualized route she offers all her clients for achieving full and enduring fitness. Training Effects was born out of Spirit Fitness Training and how those Joanne has kwn and trained shared their stories with her, which inspired Blackerby to open up and reveal memories painful, touching, revelatory, sometimes harrowing yet ultimately loving and inspirational about her privileged yet tumultuous childhood in Kingston, Jamaica and her family's flight from their homeland's political violence to North America. and ultimately finding herself and her place in life. Joanne's legacy of family and sexual violence, struggles as a multiracial immigrant, and how she overcame it all plus bouts of chronic depression and ADHD in adulthood to find fulfillment as a wife, mother and ted professional managing her own business are recalled within the key principles of training to illuminate how fitness is about body, mind, soul and ultimately one's whole life. Joanne's dynamic and warm interactions with clients whose tales she also tells throughout the book will feel familiar to longtime Spirit Fitness Training members and inviting to prospective and new ones, revealing her philosophy and approach regarding full fitness. Training Effects also takes a candid look at how her profession functions today with a sharp eye for how it must up its game and better serve the millions of people that practice its programs. Blackerby's book is also an engaging read that for all the trials she has faced leaves one with much the same sense of satisfaction and renewal that comes from a vigorous workout in which real progress is made.
- Author BiographyJoanne Blackerby was born in Kingston, Jamaica, the second child of five of a Chinese medical doctor father and a Trinidadian mother. Her family moved to the suburbs of Toronto, Canada when she was six years old, and then at age 12 to Dallas, Texas. Blackerby received a BA in Communications from Trinity University in San Antonio. With initial careers in college admissions and child social services, Joanne completed most of her work on a Masters in Social Work degree from the University of Texas (until motherhood intervened). She started Spirit Fitness Training as a home-based business in 1999. Joanne has been named both Fitness Trainer to Watch 2012 and The World's Top Personal Trainer. She is a nationally certified fitness professional and continuing education provider. Joanne and her husband, Chris live in Austin, Texas. They have three children: Caleb, Tyler and Bennett. Training Effects is her first of many books to follow.
- Author(s)Joanne Blackerby
- Date of Publication27/05/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight200 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.