All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn July 2012, aged thirty, Juliet Jacques underwent sex reassignment surgery and felt for the first time that her body matched the person she felt she had been since childhood. Through university and then in a series of dead end clerical jobs, Jacques felt out of place with her surroundings, and with who she really was. Living in Brighton, trying to launch a career as a writer, she navigates the hostilities and misunderstandings of growing up in a time where the mainstream media - and even feminism - fail to ackwledge transgender identity. Yet through films, music, politics and football she begins to find herself, and starts the process of transition, and life beyond. Through her memoir, Jacques interweaves the narrative with powerful explorations of many of the major debates surrounding trans: the uses of life writing, the relationship with feminism, and the before and after images that illustrated so many articles and documentaries. Brilliantly written, revealing and honest, Trans also includes an epilogue with award-winning author Sheila Heti, in which Jacques and Heti discuss the issues facing transgender people.
- Author BiographyJULIET JACQUES is a freelance author, best known for writing A Transgender Journey for The Guardian, the first time the gender reassignment process has been serialized for a major British publication and was long listed for the Orwell Prize in 2011. She was included in the Independent's Pink List for 2012, is a regular blogger for New Statesman, and has written for Time Out, London Magazine, Cineaste, Vertigo, 3am, and Blizzard, among many others.
- PrizesShortlisted for Polari First Book Prize 2016.
- Author(s)Juliet Jacques
- PublisherVerso Books
- Date of Publication03/09/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVerso Books
- Weight567 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.