All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough transgender people are increasingly represented in academic studies and popular culture, they rarely have the opportunity to add their own voices to the conversation. In this remarkable book, Jackson Shultz records the stories of more than thirty Americans who identify as transgender. They range in age from fifteen to seventy-two; come from twenty-five different states and a wide array of racial, religious, and socioecomic backgrounds; and identify across a vast spectrum of genders and sexualities. Giving voice to a diverse group of individuals, the book raises questions about gender, acceptance, and unconditional love. From historical descriptions of activism to personal stories of discrimination, love, and community, these touching accounts of gender transition shed light on the uncharted territories that lie beyond the gender binary. Despite encounters with familial rejection, drug addiction, and medical malpractice, each account is imbued with optimism and humor, providing a thoughtful look at the daily joys and struggles of transgender life. With an introduction and explanations from the author, this work will appeal to health-care providers, educators, and legal professionals; anyone questioning their own gender, considering transition, or setting out on their own transition journey; and transgender individuals, their significant others, friends, family, and allies.
- Author BiographyJACKSON WRIGHT SHULTZ is a scholar and activist. He has written and lectured on marginalized communities, men s role in sexual assault prevention, pedagogy, representations of transmasculinities, and queer theory.
- Author(s)Jackson Wright Shultz
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication05/11/2015
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDartmouth College Press
- Weight272 g
- Width140 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.