All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith original archival documents and interviews from the US and Europe, Michelle Frasher brings the reader into the negotiating room with American, German, and French officials as they confronted the collapse of the Bretton Woods monetary system and made decisions that affected the course of European integration and the contemporary neoliberal order. She identifies crisis as the catalyst for change in international monetary policies, but argues that the causes of crisis originated from a multitude of factors such as market speculation, American hegemony, institutional flaws, and ideational conflicts among the leaders themselves. Far from a planned and consensual process, this book shows that the transformation to neoliberalism was riddled with discord and fret with trial and error. She argues that the resulting currency regime allowed governments to entrench themselves in national interests and facilitated the marketization of the state, where states have became both clients and participants in the financialized global ecomy-to the detriment of international stability. Frasher's is the first work to connect the 1960s and 1970s to the difficulties of inter-state and inter-market cooperation that have plagued the system in the last decades, and it puts the 2008 debacle into historical perspective.
- Author BiographyDr. Michelle Frasher, Ph.D. specializes in transatlantic monetary relations, global financial governance, and is an expert in the politics of US-EU financial data flows. A frequent speaker at anti-money laundering and privacy conferences, Frasher's work has appeared in Harvard Business Review and American Banker and been sponsored by the SWIFT Institute. In 2015, she was a non-resident visiting fellow with the European Union Center at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and a Fulbright-Schuman Scholar in Belgium and Malta and Belgium in 2014. She currently resides in New York and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Author(s)Michelle Frasher
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication10/09/2015
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight385 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.