All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe mainstays of brain imaging techniques have been positron emission tomography (PET), functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), magnetoencephalography (MEG), and event-related potentials (ERPs). These methods all record direct or indirect measures of brain activity and correlate the activity patterns with behavior. But to go beyond the correlations established by these techniques and prove the necessity of an area for a given function, cognitive neuroscientists need to be able to reverse engineer the brain -- i.e., to selectively remove components from information processing and assess their impact on the output. This book is about transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), a technique that emerged during the same period as neuroimaging and has made it possible to reverse engineer the human brain's role in behavioral and cognitive functions. The subject areas that can be studied using TMS run the gamut of cognitive psychology -- attention, perception, awareness, eye movements, action selection, memory, plasticity, language, numeracy, and priming. The book presents an overview of historical attempts at magnetic brain stimulation, ethical considerations of the technique's use, basic technical and practical information, the results of numerous TMS studies, and a discussion of the future of TMS in the armamentarium of cognitive neuropsychology.
- Author BiographyVincent Walsh is a Royal Society Research Fellow and Reader in Psychology at the Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, University College London. Alvaro Pascual-Leone is Director of Research at the Behavioral Neurology Unit of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Associate Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School.
- Author(s)Alvaro Pascual-Leone,Vincent Walsh
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication16/09/2005
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBradford Books
- Content Note103 illus., 16 in color
- Weight612 g
- Width178 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Foreword byStephen M. Kosslyn
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.