All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionTransformation & Revelation is a fully illustrated celebration of the diversity and richness of contemporary design for performance in the UK and by UK designers worldwide. It takes as its theme the transformative qualities inherent in design for performance and its realisation. It illustrates the work of over 200 practising theatre designers and other visual artists working in theatre with over 350 images of designs for set, costume and lighting, as well as designs for theatre spaces. Transformation & Revelation covers a tremendous range of performance design, - from Anthony Gormley's Sutra with Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui and the Saholin Warrior Monks for Sadlers Wells, to Es Devlin's designs and projections for the Lady Gaga tour; from Ian MacNeil's new designs for the New York version of Billy Eliott to Lion King designer Richard Hudson's latest designs for dance. The book also includes work from the UK's newest, and yet to be well-kwn, designers. Transformation & Revelation asks: How do theatre designers use the transformation of structures and costumes and space to take us on a visual journey? What is the process by which visual ideas are generated and developed to realise this vision? Working from the premise that the function of design is t merely to illustrate the performed text, music or movement, but to provide a further layer of visual narrative, it is the designer's job to make us ask, What am I going to see next? What will be revealed? It is through this process of constant visual and aural transformation and revelation that we experience a work of theatre. Also included are: biographical information, indexes by: production, company, venue, designer and photographer. Transformation & Revelation is accessible to general and specialised readers. It is an invaluable resource for students, teachers and anyone interested in contemporary performance.
- Author BiographyGreer Crawley is Senior Lecturer in Spatial Design at Buckinghamshire New University, editor of the SBTD's quarterly journal. She is also a practising designer and a researcher on the practice-based doctoral programme in Scenography at The University of the Arts, Zurich and the University of Vienna. Peter Farley is a theatre designer/scenographer and senior lecturer at Wimbledon College of Art. He is an experienced exhibition curator. Sophie Jump is a scenographer and freelance design tutor, who has also curated exhibitions on design for theatre in the 1930s.
- PublisherSociety of British Theatre Designers
- Date of Publication18/03/2011
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSociety of British Theatre Designers
- Content Note400 full colour illustrations
- Weight425 g
- Width248 mm
- Height300 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byGreer Crawley,Peter Farley,Sophie Jump
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.