All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIs democracy in crisis? On the one hand, it seems to be decaying under the leadership of political elites who make decisions behind closed doors. On the other hand, citizens are taking to the streets to firmly assert their political participation across the globe. Drawing on a range of theoretical and empirical perspectives, this collection examines the multiple transformations which both the practice and the idea of democracy are undergoing today. It starts by questioning whether there is a crisis of democracy, or if part of this crisis lies in the inadequacy of social and political theory to describe current challenges. Exploring a range of violent and n-violent forms of resistance, the book goes on to ask how these are related to the arts, what form of civility they require and whether they undermine the functioning of institutions. In the final section of the book, the contributors examine the rmative foundations of democratic practices and institutions, especially with regard to the tension between human rights and democracy and the special character of democratic authority.
- Author BiographyRobin Celikates is associate professor of political and social philosophy at the University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands, where he also directs the research project Transformations of Civil Disobedience. Regina Kreide is professor of political theory and history of ideas at the Justus Liebig University in Giessen, Germany and is co-director of the Collaborative Research Center Dynamics of Security. Tilo Wesche is interim professor of practical philosophy at the Justus Liebig University in Giessen, Germany.
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield International
- Date of Publication27/05/2015
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield International
- Weight431 g
- Width150 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byRegina Kreide,Robin Celikates,Tilo Wesche
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $62.46
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.