All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCombining transgender studies with the 'neomodernist' architectures of the internationally rewned firm, Diller Scofidio + Renfro (DS+R) and with modernist writers (Samuel Beckett and Virginia Woolf) whose work anticipates that of transgender studies, this book challenges the implicit 'spatial models' of popular narratives of transgender - interiority, ownership, sovereignty, structure, stability, and domesticity - to advance a vel theorization of transgender as a matter of exteriority, groundlessness, ornamentation, and movement. With case studies spanning the US and UK, Transgender Architectonics examines the ways in which modernist architecture can contribute to our understanding of how it is that humans are able to transform, shedding light on the manner in which architecture, space, and the spatial metaphors of gender can play significant - if often unrealized - potential roles in body and gender transformation. By remedying both the absence of actual architecture in queer theory's discussions of space and also architectural theory's marginal treatment of transgender, this volume constitutes a serious intervention in the field of 'queer space'. It draws on modernist literature in order to reckon with and rebuild the architectural ideas that already implicitly structure common understandings of the queer and transgender self. As such, it will appeal to scholars with interests in queer theory, the body and transformation, gender and sexuality, modernist writing and architectural theory.
- Author BiographyLucas Crawford is Ruth Wynn Woodward Junior Chair in the Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies at Simon Fraser University, Canada.
- Author(s)Dr. Lucas Crawford
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/12/2015
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleGender, Bodies and Transformation
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Weight498 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Series Edited byDr. Meredith Jones
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.