All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the last thirty years of the twentieth century, Canadian federal governments offered varying degrees of support for literary and other artistic endeavour. A corollary of this patronage of culture at home was an effort to make the resulting works available for audiences elsewhere in the world. Current developments in the study of translation and its influence as cultural transfer have made possible new assessments of such efforts to project a national image abroad. Translating Canada examines cultural materials exported by Canada in addition to those selected for acquisition by German publishers, theatres, and other culture brokers. It also considers the motivations of particular translators and the reception by German reviewers of works by a wide variety of Canadian writers -- velists and poets, playwrights and children's authors, literary and social critics. Above all, the book maps for its readers a number of significant, though frequently unsuspected, roles that translation assumes in the intercultural negotiation of national images and values. The chapters in this collection will be of value to students, teachers, and scholars in a number of fields. Informed lay readers, too, will appreciate the authors' insights into the different ways in which translation has contributed to German reception of Canadian books and culture.
- Author BiographyLuise von Flotow is director of the School of Translation and Interpretation at the University of Ottawa. She is the author or editor of several books, including The Third Shore: Women's Fiction from East Central Europe (Northwestern University Press, 2006). Reingard M. Nischik is the chair of North American Literature at the University of Constance, Germany. She is the author or editor of more than 25 books, including Margaret Atwood: Works and Impact (Anansi, 2002).
- PublisherUniversity of Ottawa Press
- Date of Publication25/10/2007
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitlePerspectives on Translation
- Place of PublicationOttawa
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Ottawa Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight463 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byLuise Von Flotow,Reingard M. Nischik
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.