All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe book takes a pragmatic/semiotic approach to real-life translating for the stage and screen, with a view to showing the potential of systematic linguistic analysis to reveal aspects of meaning-making. Functionalist, interpretive and critical perspectives merge to describe shifting aspects of phemena in acculturating Pinter, Shakespeare, Wilde, Leonard, Shaw, Austen etc., in the second half of the 20th century, for the Greek stage and/or screen. The book tackles the rendition of politeness in staging Pinter, the implementation of narrative perspectives in stage and screen versions of Hamlet, the rendition of semantic oppositions for humour generation across versions in A Midsummer Night's Dream, the rendition of subcultural linguistic variety in Shaw's Pygmalion on stage and screen, target identity inscription in versions of Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest and Leonard's Da, the rendition of phemena in subtitling and dubbing The Hunchback of Notre Dame animation film for the young, and the similarities between translation and cinematic adaptation of Austen's Sense and Sensibility and Hislop's The Island. An awareness of specificities in the treatment of linguistic phemena is expected to inform the agenda of what is to be further explored in Translation Studies.
- Author BiographyMaria Sidiropoulou is Professor of Translation Studies, in the Faculty of English at the University of Athens, Greece, and was President of the Interuniversity-Interfaculty Translation-Translatology MA Programme Committee (2009-2011). Her research tackles pragmatically-oriented phenomena and intercultural issues manifested through English-Greek translation practice in the press, in advertising, in the EU, in literature, on stage and screen.
- Author(s)Maria Sidiropoulou
- PublisherCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Date of Publication09/03/2012
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationNewcastle upon Tyne
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight540 g
- Width148 mm
- Height212 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
- Edition Statement1st Unabridged
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.