All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume offers a systematic overview of the different tools through which the human rights accountability of transnational corporations may be improved. It first examines the responsibility of States in controlling transnational corporations, emphasizing both the limits imposed by the protection of the rights of investors under investment treaties and the potential of the US Alien Tort Claims Act and other similar extra-territorial legislations. It then turns to self-regulation by transnational corporations, through the use of codes of conduct or international framework agreements. It then discusses recent attempts at the global level to improve the human rights accountability of corporations by the direct imposition on corporations of obligations under international law. Finally, it considers the use of public procurement policies or of conditionalities in the lending policies of multilateral lending institutions in order to incentivize TNCs to behave ethically. Altogether, the book offers a rigorous legal analysis of these different developments and critically appraises their potential.
- Author BiographyOlivier De Schutter is a Global Law Professor at New York University and Co-ordinator of the EU Network of Independent Experts on Fundamental Rights. He is also a Professor at the University of Louvain (Belgium) and at the College of Europe (Natolin).
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication11/09/2006
- SubjectInternational Law: Professional
- Series TitleStudies in International Law
- Series Part/Volume Number12
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published1899
- ImprintHart Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight775 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Edited byOlivier de Schutter
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.