All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEvidence of torture at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq and harsh interrogation techniques at Guantanamo Bay beg the question: has the war on terror forced liberal democracies to rethink their policies and laws against torture? Transnational Torture focuses on the legal and political discourses on torture in India and the United States-two common-law based constitutional democracies-to theorize the relationship between law, violence, and state power in liberal democracies. Analyzing about one hundred landmark Supreme Court cases on torture in India and the United States, memos and popular imagery of torture, Jinee Lokaneeta compellingly demonstrates that even before recent debates on the use of torture in the war on terror, the laws of interrogation were much more ambivalent about the infliction of excess pain and suffering than most political and legal theorists have ackwledged. Rather than viewing the recent policies on interrogation as amalous or exceptional, Lokaneeta effectively argues that efforts to accommodate excess violence-a constantly negotiated process-are long standing features of routine interrogations in both the United States and India, concluding that the infliction of excess violence is more central to democratic governance than is ackwledged in western jurisprudence.
- Author BiographyJinee Lokaneeta is Associate Professor of Political Science at Drew University (NJ).
- Author(s)Jinee Lokaneeta
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication22/06/2014
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight413 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.