All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSustainable travel behaviours have long been sought after in cities around the world, particularly in industrialised countries, but also increasingly in the emerging cities of Asia, South America and Africa. Progress however appears difficult to make as the private car, still largely fuelled by petrol or diesel, remains the mainstream mode of use. Transport is the key sector where carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions are difficult to reduce. This book seeks to develop achievable low CO2 emission futures for transport in a range of international case studies. The aim is that the scenarios as developed, and the consideration of implementation and transition issues, can help us plan for and achieve attractive future lifestyles at the city level, rather than 'sleepwalk' into climate change difficulties, oil scarcity, poor qualities of life, and to continue with the large casualty figures. High fuel prices in the future may mean that parts of our cities and wider regions become redundant and residents suffer from low levels of accessibility. The topic is thus critical, with transport viewed as central to the achievement of the sustainable city and reduced CO2 emissions. The book's original content and presentation draws on contemporary culture to demonstrate the need for a wider and more transparent debate on future travel behaviours and lifestyles, acceptability and implementability, and the potential for using different means to sell a different but attractive future.
- Author BiographyProfessor David Banister is Professor of Transport Studies and Director of the Transport Studies Unit at University of Oxford, UK. Dr Robin Hickman is a Senior Lecturer at the Bartlett School of Planning, University College London and Visiting Research Associate at the Transport Studies Unit, University of Oxford, UK.
- Author(s)David Banister,Robin Hickman
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/02/2015
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note100 black & white halftones, 50 black & white line drawings
- Weight703 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.