All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe present book contains a comparison of existing theoretical models developed in order to describe membrane separation processes. In general, the permeation equations resulting from these models give inaccurate predictions of the mutual effects of the permeants involved, due to the simplifications adopted in their derivation. It is concluded that an optimum description of transport phemena in tight (diffusion-type) membranes is achieved with the solution-diffusion model. According to this model each component of a fluid mixture to be separated dissolves in the membrane and passes through by diffusion in response to its gradient in the chemical potential. A modified Flory-Huggins equation has been derived to calculate the solubility of the permeants in the membrane material. Contrary to the original Flory-Huggins equation, the modified equation accounts for the large effect on solubility of crystallinity and elastic strain of the polymer chains by swelling. The equilibrium sorption of liquids computed with this equation was found to be in good agreement with experimental results. Also, the sorption of gases in both rubbery and glassy polymers could be described quan- titatively with the modified Flory-Huggins equation without any need of the arbitrary Langmuir term, as required in the conventional dual-mode sorption model. Furthermore, fewer parameters are required than with the at least identical accuracy.
- Author(s)J. G. A. Bitter
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication21/10/2012
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Series TitlePlenum Chemical Engineering Series
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight357 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1991
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.75
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $38.99
- AU $23.89Trending at AU $33.32
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.