All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume, the first to result from the Diebold Institute Information-Based Infrastructure Project, explores the links between business and government in the development of intelligent transportation systems (ITS) techlogy. The work focuses on road and vehicular infrastructures, comparing those of the U.S., Europe, and Japan, and the roles that ITS can play in solving major current and anticipated future transportational problems. Special attention is given to environmental and ecomic concerns. The world's infrastructure requires refurbishing, but it especially requires rethinking. The computer has transformed business enterprises and w information techlogy can change our environment. This book explores the benefits and how to achieve them through the use of intelligent transportation systems (ITS). The implementation of ITS will potentially lead to individual drivers, fleet operators, and public transit users saving vast amounts of journey time and fuel, to a significant reduction in pollution and to improved road safety. The Japanese are ahead of the U.S. and Europe in the area of intelligent transportation systems, using position location devices, and electronic maps. Most look at this development as one that helps speed passenger cars, but this book details the ecomics which point to the techlogy being equally good for speeding trucks and easing the movement of freight. Traffic avoidance is only part of the problem although route guidance is helpful. Financing of projects in ITS is an important area for invation and ITS could be a source of revenue to municipalities rather than an expense.
- Author BiographyTHE DIEBOLD INSTITUTE FOR PUBLIC POLICY, INC., founded in 1968 by John Diebold, is an operating foundation located in Bedford Hills, NY. Exploring the public-private interface to achieve maximum societal benefit from technological change is the principal focus of the Institute's activities.
- Author(s)Diebold Institute for Public Policy Studies,John Diebold
- Date of Publication30/05/1995
- SubjectTransport Industries
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight490 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
- AU $34.50Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.